Who we are
MLAG(Museum Librarians and Archivists Group)is a network of archivists and librarians working in museums and galleries throughout the UK. Our emphasis is on informality, co-operation and action. We are keen to share views, experiences and innovative ideas with anybody interested in our field of work. Our concerns mirror those of all librarians and archivists and our activities are outward-looking, user-focused and cutting-edge.
We offer a regular annual programme of visits, seminars and talks on key current issues and participants are welcome beyond the group. We have also organised three successful biennial conferences. We strive to keep our fees for events as low as possible and in many cases these are free.
Membership is open to all information professionals working within a museum or gallery as defined by the Museums Association
Mission of MLAG
The Museum Librarians and Archivists group mission is:
To promote the sharing of skills, knowledge and resources between members and encourage new and innovative ways of making our culture accessible, realising our potential and inspiring people.
We will achieve our Mission by:
- Raising the profile of the sector and promoting its interdisciplinary strengths.
- Ensuring all stakeholders recognise the potential of members to contribute to achieving corporate goals.
- Creating opportunities to enhance collections and services through consortium working.
- Leading on professional development with an active learning programme, by creating forums for exchanging ideas and through sharing skills and knowledge.
- Setting standards and developing new models to encourage best practice in service delivery and collection management.
- Offering a positive experience to the widest possible audience, understanding their needs and creating attractive approaches to our collections and services.
- Responding to issues that affect our information community and support member concerns.
- Building relationships with similar organisations in order to share knowledge, ideas and best practice.
Guiding principles for MLAG members
- Sharing of knowledge and expertise among MLAG members is positively encouraged.
- Members benefit more from MLAG membership by actively participating in the group’s discussions and activities.
- MLAG members are encouraged to promote MLAG within their institutions. It is also encouraged that staff from member institutions are put forward for MLAG projects and discussions. This increases the pool of staff which can be called upon to offer knowledge and expertise to MLAG.
- Members are welcome to use MLAG’s multiple communication tools in order to share information and best practice.